Author Topic: Undercarriage Bracing Wires - Albatros D.V  (Read 599 times)

ChrisJohnson

Undercarriage Bracing Wires - Albatros D.V
« on: August 26, 2011, 08:26:03 PM »
I'm confused about the use of turnbuckles on the bracing wires for the undercarriage of the Albatros D.V. I have the following conflicting information:

1) D.Va image from Jamo's site appears to show no turnbuckles at either end of the bracing wires.

2) Line drawing on page 114 of Albatros D.Va: German Fighter of World War I shows turnbuckles at the axle end of the bracing wires.

3) Conversely, a reproduction of an original German technical drawing on the inside of the rear cover of Albatros D.Va: German Fighter of World War I appears to show turnbuckles at the fuselage end of the wires, but not at the axle ends.

4) Line drawing on page 10 of Scale Aircraft Drawings shows turnbuckles at fuselage end of bracing wires.

So . . . are there turnbuckles and if so, where are they properly located?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Chris

Des

Re: Undercarriage Bracing Wires - Albatros D.V
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 08:29:54 PM »
The turnbuckles for the bracing wires are located inside the fuselage where the wires connect to the inside of the fuselage, there are no turnbuckes where the wires connect to the actual undercarriage, I fitted eyelets to the undercarriage rear struts.

Des.

Offline MikeMcGregor

• Flight Lieutenant
  • : Aug 2011
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 08:39:54 PM »
Good evening,

No turnbuckles are visible on the undercarriage, it is appropriate to have anchoring points and whip arounds on the axle and the wires to disappear into the fuselage where the tensioners were located.

Regards,
                 Mike.

Offline Jamo

• Cadet
  • Squadron Leader
  • : May 2011
    • My Photobucket account
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 08:51:15 PM »
You can see the tensioners in this photo of the TVAL Albatros DVa cockpit:

Coming out of the fuselage:

Attaching to the undercarriage:

Des

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 05:27:03 AM »
Thanks James for adding the photos, they sure explain the rigging a lot better than what I can in text.

Des.

ChrisJohnson

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2011, 08:59:39 AM »
Those are excellent images James. Further proof that you can't beat an enthusiast armed with a camera, who is willing to  share the information via the internet. My how times are a changin'. 

And now I'm left pondering my decision to hunt down and buy those two books I listed in my original post.

Cheers,

Chris

Offline BWiber

• Squadron Leader
  • : Jun 2011
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2011, 11:16:19 AM »
I almost added the turn buckles to the cockpit based on that photo..... good thing I didn't do it as I would have hooked them up to the control system as I would never have thought that they were from the landing gear.....  ^_^ :-"
Fred, if you're afraid, you'll have to overlook it,
Besides, you knew the job was dangerous when you took it! (cluck, awk!)
— Super Chicken

Remember, I'm pulling for ya. We're all in this together!

Offline BWiber

• Squadron Leader
  • : Jun 2011
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2011, 02:30:31 PM »
After taking a good look at the belly of the aircraft I am going with drilling the holes for the rigging at the two dimples located either side of one of the centerline drain holes towards the back of the lower wing/fuselage join area.

Thanks all for the clarification on what is happening with those rigging lines.... I really had no idea before you guys explained it.

Bob
Fred, if you're afraid, you'll have to overlook it,
Besides, you knew the job was dangerous when you took it! (cluck, awk!)
— Super Chicken

Remember, I'm pulling for ya. We're all in this together!

Des

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2011, 02:05:47 AM »
Yes Bob, you are exactly right with what you say about drilling the two holes, the two bracing wires cross over just below the fuselage then connect to the undercarriage legs.

Des.

Tags: