Author Topic: 1/48 Fokker DVII - Roden or Eduard?  (Read 1613 times)

Offline stefanbuss

• Flight Lieutenant
  • : Aug 2011
1/48 Fokker DVII - Roden or Eduard?
« on: October 28, 2012, 06:11:36 AM »
Friends,

regarding accuracy: which are the better kits, Roden's or Eduard's (no matter if it's early or late, Fokker, OAW or Albatros subtypes)?

Regards,
Stefan

Offline RAGIII

• Reviewer
  • Air Commodore
  • : Jun 2011
Re: 1/48 Fokker DVII - Roden or Eduard?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 06:39:24 AM »
This is one of those hard to answer questions. Certain parts of each may be better/ more accurate. The Roden engines and engine bay certainly beat Eduards. Roden includes both BMW and Mercedes engines molded to a high standard of accuracy. Eduards interior builds up a little more accurately and gives a better appearance to the MG belt feeds and empty ammo chutes, and if building a profi version you also get the PE cooling jackets. As for the wings, Roden may win out even though eduards are good. This boils down to the perhaps overdone rib effect on the Eduard kit. Beyond accuracy Eduard wins hands down on fit and ease of assembly! IHTH,
RAGIII
PS: JMHO!
Ricks Axioms:

"A Man has to know his limitations" Harry Callahan
"Don't Slop it ON" Lynda Geisler

Offline coyotemagic

• Reviewer
  • Air Commodore
  • : May 2011
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 08:51:27 AM »
I have to agree with Rick on all counts, although the only D.VII I've built to date is the DML kit.  I do, however, have a few of both Eduard and Roden kits in my ever ridiculously growing stash and have spent hours test fitting both reaching the same conclusion as Rick.  Both are great kits.
Cheers,
Bud
"If you're going through hell, keep going." - Winston Churchill

Offline chip

• Hall of Fame
  • Flight Lieutenant
  • : Aug 2012
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 08:01:53 PM »
I have a couple of 1/48 Fokker D7 kits, 1 x Revell and 1 x Dragon - I've tried to sell them on Ebay and here and at a local club but no luck so I would be happy to offer them free to any forum member who may want to build them at cost of postage.
"It looks like all the others"

Offline Terri

• Admin
  • Air Commodore
  • : Mar 2012
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 05:23:58 AM »
I have built the Roden kit a few times and she does build up beautifully , just need to do some sanding and filing for the lower wing to fit and new outer struts need be made , kit ones are to short . The cockpit is fine , but does need a little dressing up to match what Eduard offers in their kit . Toss the decals and source out after market , save yourself a lot of frustration and silvering . The fuselage is better then the Eduard kit in scale . The Eduard kit is just a tad to deep . Like Rick has pointed out you get both engine types and Rodens engines are very well detail and you will have spare parts for the box . Eduards engine is the same in all of their kits , under size and the detail isn't there . Very plan in this aspect . Eduards cockpit trumps Rodens hands down . The rib effect on the wings on Eduards kit are over done but nothing that a bit of sanding can't fix .

Both kit's have there faults and good points but if you are looking for an excellent fit then I reconmmend Eduards kit . If you go with Roden , Part of Poland has and PE set for this kit ......

Terri
Queen of the Pfalz

Offline Greendog

• But at Flying School....they told us...
  • Cadet
  • Officer Cadet
  • : Oct 2012
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 12:28:43 PM »
I spent a while pondering this very question when both companies released what looked to be excellent kits of the famed Fokker D.VII...Alb/Fokker & OAW to be sure.

I read many reviews online and went to my local Hobby shop to look at (more like fondle) the two companies kits open box....parts out for examination.

If you want to do the engine bay open, with all the resplendent fuselage detail...then go for the Roden kits.
If you want a nice cockpit, with all the tiny parts that make the interior "pop"...then get the Eduard kits.

Me...I went for 1 each of the Eduard "Double" kits that had 2 models in each box......I missed out on the Royal Fokker D.VII (which has 3 models)...truly an awesome kit.

Either way you can't go wrong - the paint schemes on either brand are all very nice and will make for an attractive model.

Offline The Red Baron

• Air Commodore
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 12:43:29 PM »
It's the decals that seal the deal for me - Eduard's work whilst Roden's are a pain in the proverbial, and a fancy engine isn't enough to compensate for the added hassle and expense of aftermarket decals for me.
von Richthoven: How lucky you English are to find the toilet so amusing. For us, it is a mundane and functional item. For you, the basis of an entire culture.

Offline modulla

• Hall of Fame
  • Officer Cadet
  • : Feb 2012
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 05:15:20 PM »
You could buy one of each, then build the Eduard and only use the wing and engine from the Roden ..... Yes? ..... No?
Not much more expensive than buying aftermarket parts.

Clive

Offline Curtisswright

• Officer Cadet
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2012, 11:16:16 PM »
Rag and Terri nailed it right on the head.  Bottom line is both are very good kits and a great representations of the D7.  I have written off all of Roden's decals however.  They are just not worth the aggrivation.  Agree with Red Baron here.  Built the Post War Brisfit last year, a newer kit.  decals disintegrated in water and those that didn't peeled off after prepping the surface.  Same issues I had ten twelve years ago.  I don't know why they don't do something about it because they build up into very nice kits.

Offline coyotemagic

• Reviewer
  • Air Commodore
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2012, 01:43:02 AM »
You could buy one of each, then build the Eduard and only use the wing and engine from the Roden ..... Yes? ..... No?

Clive
That's how I ended up with one of each, Clive.  I had the Eduard kit and bought the Roden just for the engines (you get two in each kit, a Merc. and a BMW).  Roden kits are so inexpensive, it's well worth it.  I like both kits so much, I've decided to build both.  The Eduard will be fully cowled and the Roden will have the cowling off.
Cheers,
Bud
"If you're going through hell, keep going." - Winston Churchill

Offline JastaB

• Hall of Fame
  • Officer Cadet
  • In any form of attack it is essential to assail yo
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2012, 03:02:34 AM »
The Roden kit is more frigidity and it takes a little more work... but all in all it builds up to a more accurate model. In Particular Roden captured the deep camber of the wings. The Eduard wings are too thin in my opinion.

Offline chip

• Hall of Fame
  • Flight Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2012, 07:38:51 AM »
Slightly off topic but does nobody want this -it's FREE

Here is a review link:
http://www.modelingmadness.com/review/w1/sczed7.htm

Offline Terri

• Admin
  • Air Commodore
  • : Mar 2012
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2012, 09:40:05 AM »
I'll take it off your hands ....

Terri
Queen of the Pfalz

Offline brez

• Squadron Leader
  • : Jul 2011
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2012, 08:05:33 AM »

Clive
That's how I ended up with one of each, Clive.  I had the Eduard kit and bought the Roden just for the engines (you get two in each kit, a Merc. and a BMW).  Roden kits are so inexpensive, it's well worth it.  I like both kits so much, I've decided to build both.  The Eduard will be fully cowled and the Roden will have the cowling off.
Cheers,
Bud

Same here. I've built both the Eduard and the Roden D.VIIs and now have one of each left un-built, I plan to do one quite detailed using the best bits of each. And another sort of 'quick-build' with a flashy colour scheme.

Tony.

Offline chip

• Hall of Fame
  • Flight Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2012, 08:14:11 PM »
I'll take it off your hands ....

Terri

Sending you a pm

Tags: