Hallo everybody, here I am with my new build: Revell Airco DH 2 in 1/144 scale
The box says it’s a 144 and to be honest that’s the reason why I took it off the shelf in the model shop round the corner, I wouldn’t make another 72 after the Albie W4… But when I opened and measured the wingspan …
I realized it’s another 72!!!!
But now the match has started and I must play!
So here is some pictures and information, and perhaps some questions to the experts!
Here is the box and the main sources from where I will take information and inspiration:
After some study I decided the version I will build is s/n. 6011 - flight C - 24th Squadron RFC, Bertangles, France, July 1916.
According to Windsock and also the instuction sheet Flight C had the outer struts painted in blue / white and the wheel discs in blue.
Many profiles depict this in red / white, but Les Rogers in his monumental book confirms the colours were Red for Flight A, Black for Flight B and Blue for Flight C.
I have seen pictures of the lane after it was captured by Germans and while Oswald Boelcke inspects it, several details are visibly different in those pictures and in the kit, here are some decisions I submit here for your validation:
4 blades Propeller in the photo / 2 blades in the kit: I realized the 4 blades prop was adopted for DH2s, the pictures are dated Nov. 1916 while my version is dated July same year, therefore I assume the 2 blades prop can be a correct interpretation… (also because I don’t have a compatible 4 blades prop!)
The profile found in Ray Rimell publication shows the back outer strut in solid blue, but the picture shows it has 2 white stripes, what about the front outer strut?
24th Squadron invented the sawtooth pattern beneath the nacelle, and from the pictures it is clearly shown, so I’ll paint it, the colour of the teeth (according to Les Rogers) was either PC10 or Black, I’m not sure what colour to use, maybe PC10 would look more real in continuity with the other surfaces.
The tank which is set on the upper wing is shown clearly displaced on the left, while normally it was mounted at the centre of the upper wing, I was not able to see how the tube connecting the tank to the nacelle (I suppose it ends in the engine…) goes.
I have found somewhere the design of pitot tube used for the DH2 where was it placed exactly?
Now let’s open the box: dear friends, the kit is really dreadful, many flashes and moulding signs coming out of the plastic…
The cockpit is totally missing any detail… instead of the seat there is a sort of gangway seat divided in two parts…
I measured the real seat dimensions from the Windsock and made it using my graphic editor
Printed on thick paper, cut off
And glued with Elmers glue...
Here it is dry fitted in the nacelle while the astonished pilot stares at it.
As you can see the poor guy is affected by liquid retention and I regret to say he’ll get assigned to a non operational job...
I hope to finish this by the end of the year, because on January 1 on the Italian forum I am in (MAB) starts a Great War Campaign and I want to be in whithout anything pending on my bench!
Let’s go further in exploring the sins of this kit
Underside of the upper wing: here are the notches where the tail booms will fit, too much similar to salami…
I took away the salami
Upper surface: I scribed the ailerons and created the center section joint lines
I filled the hole where the upper tank should have put, although the position is correct, the shape of the tank is totally wrong
Lower wing, same operation
Here is the tank, I imagine they have taken it from an old motorcycle, look at its real shape on the profile:
I build a tail using styrene
Filled the gap with putty and added details
Then I turn my attention to the cockpit clearing the useless extruded numbers, writings and molding signs
I cleared the absurd apron they put on the MG opening
(I bought this Lewis on ebay to replace the shapeless work provided by the kit)
I added some more details to the cockpit, the rudder bar handle is provisional
On the right the column where the MG will go, it is not finished yet. The black dot on the nose’s floor represents the position of the MG column behind which the rudder pedals will be placed
Here is a general view of the pieces done so far, on the cockpit side walls I glued some plasticard to simulate the wooden framework, I will glue the internal rigging after priming and painting them of course…